Friday, March 30, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
Friday, March 16, 2012
To start the morning, though, practice typing using this website. At the bottom of site's page, you will find code that you can embed onto The Herald, if you like.
Now, watch the following claymation videos and get inspired:
If you finish early, tackle one of the following stories:
- Write about how to take photos of people. Please include tips for taking photographs that are cited to this source, as well as information from Mr. Clarke. Read this list of 10 tips for taking photographs. Which ones seem most important to you? Include at least three of your favorite photos from this National Geographic site in your post. Why do you consider them good photographs?
- Write about how to take photos of cities. Please include tips for taking photographs that are cited to this source, as well as information from Mr. Clarke. Read this list of 10 tips for taking photographs. Which ones seem most important to you? Include at least three of your favorite photos from this National Geographic site in your post. Why do you consider them good photographs?
- Write about how to take photos of landscapes (what is the difference between a landscape and a city?) Please include tips for taking photographs that are cited to this source, as well as information from Mr. Clarke. Read this list of 10 tips for taking photographs. Which ones seem most important to you?Include at least three of your favorite photos from this National Geographic site in your post. Why do you consider them good photographs?
- Make a Wordle.
- Explore your neighborhood with Old SF. Write your first post about your neighborhood and what it looked like long ago. Include images in your posts.
- Start taking this free online typing course for kids. Each week, write a review of the site.
- This assignment will take patience: Here's a new site that promises easy-to-do editing.
Thursday, March 15, 2012
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s fantastical opera Don Giovanni has three heroines in it. Donna Elvira, Donna Anna, and Zerlina.
Donna Anna is a noblewoman. She is engaged to Don Ottavio and at the beginning of the opera her father, Il Comendatore, was murdered. The action in the opera starts with Leporello sitting in the cold outside while Don Giovanni is seducing Donna Anna. (Who knows where Don Ottavio was at that moment?) When Leporello hears footsteps, he quickly hides. Don Giovanni enters with Donna Anna clinging on to him. She says that she will not let him run. Il Comendatore hears Donna Anna’s shrieks and runs to her aid. Donna Anna, seeing her father, runs off to get Don Ottavio. Don Giovanni kills Il Comendatore and exits with Leporello. Donna Anna is left mourning over her father’s death with Don Ottavio. Donna Anna once was attracted to Don Giovanni. If he was able to seduce her that means that she wanted to be seduced. Donna Anna is confused in what she wants. She is attracted to Don Giovanni, but she does not want to be unfaithful, but she has to avenge her father, but she also has to act like a noblewoman at the same time. . . Together with Don Ottavio, they decide to avenge her father’s death. Her head is full of emotions and feelings that are all jumbled up and she has a hard time sorting them all out. Donna Anna is confused.
Donna Elvira is also a noblewoman who was previously seduced and dumped by Don Giovanni. She wants t0 find him and cut his heart out. Hopefully, she does not mean it literally! Donna Elvira is always considered a comical character that always show up at the wrong moment. Well, it is the right moment for her but the wrong moment for Don Giovanni. Lorenzo da Ponte, the librettist, made her the comical character that is always hysterical and is always fighting against Don Giovanni through the words. Mozart’s music is beyond being comical. Donna Elvira has the most serious music in the whole opera, (not counting the Comendatore). Donna Elvira still loves Don Giovanni and wants him to return to her. Obviously, he does not even have that in mind. Donna Elvira is also confused in her emotions but she knows how to sort them out. Part of her loves Don Giovanni and desperately wants him back but the other part of her wants to kill him when she sees him. In other words, Donna Elvira does not want to suck up the fact that Don Giovanni does not love her and never did. She is trying to win him back all the time. She knows that once she loved and trusted him and thought that he did the same to her. Now, when she knows that it is not true, she does not understand how that can be. The other part of her is raging with fury. Why is Donna Elvira protecting Zerlina? Donna Elvira does not want Zerlina to make the same mistake that she did. But she also does not want to lose Don Giovanni. Donna Elvira is too chaotic.
Last, but not least, Zerlina. Zerlina is just a plain old peasant girl who is engaged to Masetto. Don Giovanni attempts to seduce her too but Donna Elvira comes and stops him. Zerlina is not attracted to Don Giovanni’s character or body. She is attracted to his status. He is a nobleman and she is a peasant girl. Of course, any peasant girl in her right mind will be happy. Unfortunately, Masetto is not happy. He understands that Don Giovanni will never marry Zerlina and Masetto thinks that Zerlina is tricked by Don Giovanni. Zerlina does understand that Don Giovanni will never marry her but she wants to believe that he will. Just like Donna Elvira who wants to believe that Don Giovanni still loves her. Zerlina is witty.
Who is the most important lady? I say that it is Donna Elvira. Donna Elvira is not only trying to save herself but also everybody around her. When Donna Elvira comes to Don Giovanni in the last scene and begs him to stop being immoral and love her, Don Giovanni is stubborn and refuses. In a way, she is even trying to save Don Giovanni from doom that is about to come upon him. Donna Elvira is the most important lady in Mozart’s masterpiece, Don Giovanni.
Written By: Rubina H. Tycoon
Friday, March 9, 2012
Scientist believe the itty bitty size is due to "double"island dwarfism. Island dwarfism is when organisms shrink due to limited resources on islands. Why double? scientist think the dwarf species found on the madagascan resort of Nosey Be found its way to an islet in which it shrank even further.
The small sizes if this newfound creature makes them extremely vulnerable to habitat destruction. I do wish we knew more about this incredible species but so far this is all or close to all the information we have on our reptilian friend.
By Kennedy S.
By Asiana D.
No matter their reaction keep a straight attitude. Try to give questions (or answers) that appeal to others because a rude answer or sarcastic answer only puts trouble on your behave. If you've been asked a question with an answer that isn't favorable, don't lie. put your answer n a different way to keep your reputation safe. What ever happens, don't panic. Just keep going on, and if the question really bugs you just avoid it in a civilized manner. When this occurs a good counter is to answer with a question, not harshly though.
Well there you have it. follow these easy tips and you probably wont run in to too much trouble. Thanks for reading!
By Kennedy S.
Dr. Martin Luther King Junior was interviewed by Meet The Press. The interviewers were:
What is your opinion about Sherlock Holmes being bad or good? What is your view on boy bands?
- Ask serious questions that don't upset people.
- Look at the person you're interviewing so they do not feel uncomfortable.
- Don't ask insulting questions that could hurt some one's feelings.
- Don't say anything mean or cruel because some one's opinion is different.
- Ask interesting questions that people would like to learn about.
- Don't ask yes or no questions.
- Have fun while your interviewing.
- Ask questions you are interested in because other people will be interested too.
When you are videotaping: you should take different videos at different angles, look at the camera, make sure you know what ou are going to say before you start taping, and smile. Also, use the tips I listed above.
Some questions that are interesting are:
1.What is your sport and why?
2.What is your view on debates?
3.What do your plan for when your grown up?
Friday, March 2, 2012
Her favorite subject is marine biology.
By: Nikita K.
by, Kennedy S.