If you have a keyboard, start class by warming up your fingers with 10FastFingers. (If you have a
Record your score here. Expect to do this every week.
Natasha, please map out the yearbook pages (spread by spread), and create a month-by-month article/author list.
If you have a past or an upcoming story (i.e., the talent show in December), you should work on that yearbook article today; otherwise, you may pick a news story.
If you are in 5th grade and log into Newsela, use the following code: G5TX5W
This week, we will be writing our articles in the "inverted pyramid" format of newspaper writing:
Below are stories to inspire ideas:
- How did the world look in....?
- Are girls meaner than boys?
- Natasha: winners of the New York Times' comics contest
- NYT VR: How to Experience a New Form of Storytelling From The Times
- Skills and Strategies | Fake News vs. Real News: Determining the Reliability of Sources
- Make an editorial cartoon — contest
- College bound: Our President's daughter
- Water on Mars, The New York Times
- Dogs hurting have special place to heal or Kitty-cats on display
- What causes a blood moon? (Leo)
- Don't Toss That Sour Milk! And Other Tips To Cut Kitchen Food Waste (Mia)
- Captain Underpants visits Green Apple
- Wacky Birds (Kasama?)
- Testing Neurons With Ultrasound
- Students can’t resist multitasking, and it’s impairing their memory.
- Have you been following news this week? Take The New York Times' quiz.
- Crash Course: How to videos to help you learn
- Science videos for fun
- Can you read emotions?
- What's going on in this picture?
- Kids National Graphics
- Time Magazine for kids. Check out the kid reporters.
- Kahn Academy
- Ta-Nehisi Coates to Write Black Panther Comic for Marvel
- Images from Pluto
- Indonesia’s ‘Mud Volcano’
- Can’t Swallow a Pill? There’s Help for That
- The mementos of Ernest Hemingway
- 6 Tiny Cavers, 15 Odd Skeletons, and 1 Amazing New Species of Ancient Human: The inside story behind a spectacular new hominin find, The Atlantic
- Homo Naledi, New Species in Human Lineage, Is Found in South African Cave, The New York Times
- Cats of New York, The New Yorker Cat photography: Smile, The Atlantic
- Is this 8-year-old's newspaper better than ours?, Columbia Journalism Review
- Cave Paintings
- Zombie Spiders: How a parasitic wasp larva turns an orb weaver spider into a slave that builds a web to host the larva's cocoon.
- Coal, Gas, Nuclear, Hydro? How Your State Generates Power
- ‘Shaun the Sheep Movie’: Designing the Characters
- Editorial cartoons (Natasha?)