Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ready For Some Classics?

7:50 p.m. Davies Symphony Hall.

"After managing to seat myself in the wrong place and panicking while I searched for the correct one, I finally have a chance to write something. This is much different from my usual opera reviews because this time it's a piano recital I was required to attend for school.

"The orchestra warms up as the remaining people come to claim their seats. People chat with each other while others text. I'll just wait until 8:00 p.m. without writing anything because I don't have anything serious to write."

9:10 p.m. Close to the end of intermission.

"The first piece, Lineage by Di Castri, was not one of my favorite contemporary pieces, but it was definitely very exciting to hear exotic music. To my taste, the tones were separated and completely unrelated. Of course, there are people who enjoy listening to this kind of music and I respect their taste.

"Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor, Opus 23 is one of those pieces you know since you were a little kid from that one cartoon. I have heard this tune in many old movies and even more old cartoons. I have also heard this symphony performed by great pianists. Needless to say, I enjoyed the performance very much. 9:25 p.m. The second part of the performance begins."

I was kind of miserable towards the end of the Prokofiev's Symphony No. 3. I was tired after the Tchaikovsky, and the Prokofiev was a little bit too much for me. I am not a fan of Prokofiev, but I actually enjoyed the 3rd symphony. I would have enjoyed it even more if I wasn't so exhausted and sleepy.

Yefim Bronfman is a very expressive pianist, both musically and visually. The way he performed the Tchaikovsky was enticing and amusing. The music manifested a sort of excitement, but danger with disdainful self-control at the same time. A man was coming home from work, or maybe war, while his wife or mistress was waiting for him at home. That feeling of uncontrollable anticipation with a pulling aback feeling was present in the music. Maybe a sailor was somewhere close to the shore on which his mother stood and waited for him, feeling with her heart that he was somewhere near. Anyways, there was a reuniting feeling to the interpretation of Bronfman's Tchaikovsky.

Another theory that came to mind was a lustful feeling of two lovers seeing each other after a long period of time; but then again that same feeling of being reunited with someone.

Overall, I enjoyed the performance very much. The contemporary piece was very thrilling; the Tchaikovsky had that cliche feeling which I absolutely love; and the Prokofiev was a nice finale to all of this.

Written by: Rubina Mazurka

No comments:

Post a Comment