When the next big earthquake hits in San Francisco, here are some ways you can keep safe.
- Doorways are safe, but it wold be better to get under a table or bed and hold on to bed or table leg with one hand and cover your head/neck with the other.
- To prepare you should always have a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, flashlights, water and purification tablets and canned food.
- Stay indoors if you are in there and duck and cover.
- Do not go near fireplaces, windows and do not go into the kitchen.
- If you're outside get away from buildings and power lines.
- After earthquakes wear sturdy shoes.
- Check for injuries and fire hazards, spills, objects that fell and food and water supplies.
- Before the next earthquake happens, decide where to meet after a natural disaster.
- Also, if you have pets have a list of friends and family you can send your animal to after a disaster, as they are not allowed in shelters.