Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cloths of Heaven, by William Butler Yeats

What are you dreams? This summer, several poetry festivals have highlighted the work of W. B. Yeats, an Irishman who won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1923. Below is from "Cloths of Heaven," one of his more famous poems. It is a nice reminder of why we should be respectful of people's dreams.

If you'd like to read more of Yeats's poetry, check out Google Books. You can read volume after volume of his poetry there.

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment